yours till the statue of liberty has twins

On this mother's day I was looking through and old autograph book that was my mother's - Georgetta Maxfield.  Autograph books were very popular in those days.   Her book is dated 1940 although there were entries up to 1946.   There's a lot of sentiments from many of her friends then - some are still living and some, like her, are gone.   Some of the writing, in pencil and in perfect cursive writing, is faded and barely legible - maybe like the people who wrote them.  Below is the first page of the book.


It's fun to think of my mom in 1940 at a time when the second world war was about to start - a turbulent time for sure.  She was 12 years old then.  I don't really have a picture of her that I know for sure was taken then, but the one below is one of my favorites.  She told me she made the dress she was wearing.  I figure she was maybe somewhere between 14-16.  I think she was beautiful and I wish this was in color.  I am sure her hair was a beautiful auburn color.  I wonder what she hoped for in her life in those days.  I  know she, at one time wanted to be a hairdresser and she always wanted to see Venice.

 Many of the entries are the usual "Roses are Red, Violets are Blue", but there are some are pretty unique.  There seemed to be a theme of comments that began with "Yours Till.....  Here's a few examples.

Yours till the statue of liberty has twins
Yours till the table legs wear stockings
Yours till snowballs melt in hell
Yours till chairs walk
Yours till I die
Yours till we eat turkey fried in Greece
Yours till they make toothpicks out of the board of education
Yours till the river hangs on the roof to dry

Here's a few of my favorites.

April 30, 1941

You can may write all you wish
You may write all you please.
But please, as you write, don't tear out the leaves....Georgetta Maxfield
December 18, 1941

Georgetta now
Georgetta forever
Maxfield now
But not foreverr      Donald Maxfield

December 19th, 1941

I love you little, I love you mighty
I wish your pajamas were against my nightie
Now don't get shocked
Don't get red
I mean on the clothesline 
Not in the bed

February 16th, 1942.

First comes love
Then comes marriage
Then comes Georgetta 
With a baby carriage

Hi Sugar
What's cooking
Chicken, wanna neck?

Policeman! Policeman!
Get on your duty!
Here comes Geogetta
The American Beauty

December 12, 1940.

Dear Georgetta:

No matter where you wander
No matter where you be
You'll always be a daughter to me.

Love your dad
Forever yours.

Dear Georgetta:
When you grow up and go away
Think of me
Every day.    Mother

Can't write
Born dumb
Inspiration won't come
Can't write bum pen
Think of me, now and then

When the golden sun is setting
and the earth no more your trod
May your name in gold
Be written 
In the autograph of God

My sister and I found this book at different times and wrote in it as well:

Best wishes 
To the greatest mom in the world
Your daughter, Barbara (1961).

I guess I wasn't all that creative:
To the best mom in the world
Love, your daughter Donna (1963).  

On this second motherless mother's day, I am happy to be a mom and a grand mom and carry on - but I sure miss you.  Every day.
 



Comments

Unknown said…
Looking at my grandmother's 1933 autograph book and "yours until the statue of Liberty has twins" was written. I googled it and found your blog.
donnaraye said…
That's great! Was your grandmother's autograph book similar? My mom's I think was from the mid 40's. She was born in 1928. Thanks for commenting.

Donna