the art of (not) running in the rain

It has rained here for the past four days.  Pouring rain.  I don't mind it even though it is May and on Tuesday the rain turned into snow for a few hours.  I had the fireplace on and me, Jack and the two grand dogs enjoyed the warmth and atmosphere created by the gas fireplace.  I don't have to go to work and I have no place that I have to be so rain is okay and home is great.  However, the rain "dampens" my morning running.  And a fireplace where you just have to flip a switch to turn on would cause my father, a woodsman his entire life, to roll over in his grave - or maybe make his ashes stir up and rearrange themselves - bumping into my mother's ashes and she will say "Jesus Christ Ray, stay on your own side". 

I am not a "fair weather" runner only.  However, part of running for me - a big part- is the enjoyment in doing it.  If it is work, then it is not fun.   I don't care if it rains once I am out there and my shoes get squishy and my shirt sticks to me and my socks are wet.  Usually I have had some part of the run before it started to rain so I am not running entirely in the soggy conditions.  Since I usually run anywhere between 5:30 and 8, it's not warm when it rains - unless it is July or August.  Cold rain isn't much fun - and much worse than cold days when it is snowing.  Why does rain feel "wetter" than snow?  Jack the dog is better than me and he would go no matter what the weather.  Sure wish I could be more like him.

Also I am not one of those girls who looks pretty when I am all wet with my shirt sticking to my  boobs and my hair plastered to my head - but let's face it - how many "girls" on the back side of 50 do?  And why do I still call myself a girl when I am as old as I am?  Because in our older heads we are all girls no matter the age - it is just the mirror and the things it shows that say otherwise.  I don't look pretty when I cry so I try not to do that too much either. Of course the only person who looks good when they cry probably is Julia Roberts and my imaginary friend Jennifer - but you wouldn't see either of them out in the rain - especially not Jennifer - she is such a pansy ass.   So that, and the lack of any GORE - TEX running apparel (even when I was employed I couldn't afford it) keeps me inside on the very rainy mornings - which luckily are rare.  Instead of running,  I go to the basement and do yoga or lift weights.  Who needs a gym anyway?  I have Rodney Yee, a Bosu ball, weights and a stationary bike and an I POD with a lot of Johnny Cash and other good music on it.   Ah, the life of a retreaded person.

Today we were going to go.  But it was pouring again and 38 degrees.  So instead I read the newspaper, drank coffee, and gave three reluctant dogs a shower.

dogs relaxing (and pouting, except for Jack) after their morning shower

Maybe tomorrow.  If not, a few days off won't kill me.  If the world doesn't end on Saturday I will definitely be out there, rain or shine.

Comments