windows

One of my friends, mixing her metaphors while trying to comfort me said, "When a door closes, a window opens".   I knew what she meant anyway...but couldn't help but think "Gee does that mean I have to climb through a window instead of just walking through another door that might open up for me on it's own?  Why does stuff have to be so hard?  What if the window is stuck because someone painted it shut,  or it's a tiny window and I won't fit through it? 

Another friend sometimes will text me in the evening, about running the next day, saying "Should we try to run in the morning?  We might just get the window."  What she means is that it is supposed to rain/snow in the am but maybe we can get out there just before it happens - and get the window of opportunity before the day or at least the weather, goes to hell.  Most of the time, we do get the window.  And because of this,  the day never goes to hell because we ran.

It rained most of last week, and was supposed to be raining this morning.  Luckily Jack and I got the window and had a nice run before it started.  It was such a pleasant and somewhat humid morning and everything was green and smelled good and lots of people and dogs were out there enjoying it.  I was so glad the window was open for me and I got through it.  I was grateful that I could go for a run at 830 AM on a Monday because I had nowhere I needed to be.  Money won't buy happiness, but getting through a window and finding something good on the other side works for me.

I think it was Yogi Berra who said, "If you come to a fork in the road, take it".  I say, "If you get a window,  climb through it before it closes on  you".

Comments