georgetta legs

My sister and Siggie, over the years, have had many many cats - TNTC (too numerous to count, as they used to say on lab reports to indicate large numbers of white cells, red cells, or bacteria usually in urine).  All of them have had interesting names, one of which isn't Georgetta legs.  Currently though they only have four.  And two dogs - Hanna and Willi.

"Georgetta Legs" is the nickname I have given to one of the cats who is formally known as Mama Meese.  Mama, like many of the other cats who have found my sister and Siggie,  just kept showing up at her house, until finally she lived there.  Barb has a magnet on her refrigerator that reads "there's a sucker born every minute, and stray cats know where we  all live".  Very true.  Many of their cats were either dropped off or got the word from the cat network that the food was good and the people were nice and they came from all over.  Over the years, my sister and Siggie must have given hundreds of cats the best life ever.

Mama Meese, AKA Georgetta legs
Georgetta legs got that nickname after I saw her standing on her back legs and noted that they looked exactly like my dear mama's legs - skinny at the bottom and wider on top (also like my legs by the way).  My mom was not heavy except for a few years during her life.  But she always had great, shapely legs, so I don't really mean this as an insult - right before mother's day and all.  In fact, I defended my mom's shape even when I was a little girl.   Once one of my little neighbor friends told me that my mom looked like a balloon on two toothpicks.  I was so infuriated by that comment that I pulled a big pole out of the ground where it was placed next to a fire hydrant (so you could find the fire hydrants in the winter) and smacked her over the head with it - no one talked about my mom that way and got away with it!  Luckily she wasn't hurt, but we didn't stay friends after that.  Maybe it was also because I peed in her hammock?  I thought only little boys peed on things (and dogs and cats) but I guess little girls could use pee as a weapon as well.

It's weird how much those cat legs remind me of my mom.  Mama Meese is 20 some years old and clearly the boss in the house.   She also has no hair on her legs and a floppy belly, like an old lady (no not like my mom's).  She is deaf but her sense of smell makes up for it. She smells everything that is being cooked especially bacon and must have some - even if she doesn't have teeth.  She still likes to play a bit, still grooms herself impeccably and has the worst smelling cat farts ever.   She talks in her sleep and makes a noise that sounds like blrrrrrrt.   She is the only cat allowed on the table and likes mostly people food - things like Cheetos and bacon.  If you try to put her food on the chair, she will look at you, insulted - it must go on the table so she can lord it over the other cats.   A few days ago my sister called and said Mama Meese had eaten Siggie's bowl of cheerios when she got up to get something.  Mama also likes cream of wheat, ice cream and oatmeal too.  Maybe that is the secret to a long cat life.   She likes to give Catholic Kisses - that is, she kisses your face in the sign of the cross.  It took her a long time to actually kiss me (I think it is her way of blessing you) but she does now and seems to remember me when I come to visit.  If you put your arms on the table in a certain way, she will come and lay inside them.  She likes it best if you have big bosoms that can also sit on the table top and she can snuggle into those - sadly that leaves me out!  She favors my sisters arms and belly rubs over mine.

Mama doesn't do much socializing with the other cats.  She won't let them on the bed at night and she gets the best place on the couch.  They don't mess with her at all and respect her authority.  She does love Willi the big lab though and often can be found sleeping next to him - if she feels particularly friendly.

Mama Meese is lucky to have spent so many years in a good home, being a queen.  She has been allowed to age gracefully and is enjoying all that she has left.  What more could a cat nicknamed Georgetta Legs hope for?  What more could any of us want?



Mama Meese and Willi, just before she booted him off the couch


 

Comments