Una oración para mis nietos (a prayer for my grandsons)

I didn’t know how much my mom loved her grandchildren

Till I had my own

The first one, newly born when I held him

Looked up at me with the eyes of my son

who looked at me in a new way with his own eyes

Already showing so much love

Scarlett’s relief, and how beautiful she looked

Even after so many hours of labor

“I can’t believe she wants to eat” Billy said in wonderment

That once the baby came out the pain stopped

And the joy began

I felt my mom’s presence that day

Knowing she kissed him on the forehead 

And sent him here probably with some admonition

Like, “be nice” or “it will be better in the morning”

Later Roman arrived 

We weren’t there but I spent all day knitting, waiting

I saw the pictures 

Of Desmond greeting him with amazement

His eyes wide,  hand in front of his mouth

When I held him he was a few weeks old

His contented look foretold of his future cheer

Arms and legs practicing their movement

In the sunlight in that bright room in Bogotá

And that dimple, only on one side

Cradles his goodness 


May you both alway see the miracle of your life

And know how much you are loved


Comments

Maggie said…
Donna, your mother's wisdom ripples to us all. I still remember your reassurance that "it will be better in the morning" on a discussion thread on Sea Change. Your writing is so nourishing during this chaotic time. Much love to you, Maggie