A prayer for making a difference

I was thinking that once someone, an old boyfriend?

 My young husband?

Once told me  “You make me want to be a better person”

I saw it written out in cursive handwriting

On a card with hearts, a valentine

Or maybe it was a birthday

Then I realized it was Jack Nicholson who said it

To Helen Hunt in the movie

“As good as it gets”

Damn  - I laughed out loud

And yet there is  a sense of regret

Of wishing to leave a mark

But maybe I failed

Do people notice me at 7 am

Walking my old dogs up the street at a very slow pace

And do they miss me when I don’t ?

Is it the staying home 

The anonymity of wearing a mask, my lipsticked lips 

Leaving a mark on the inside

Is this why I wonder about my mark in the world

Maybe people go through life not knowing

If they made life good for someone

Then, I think of 135,000 people in the US

And many more in the world

Dead of Covid 19

And I know there is a big big hole

In the lives of those who loved them


May we never stop trying to be the one

Who makes others want to be better


Comments

Maggie said…
Your love ripples, touching dogs, people, and the ethers out here on the internet. You make so many of us want to be better people, and - trust me - we notice when you're not in our lives.