random thoughts while wandering O'Hare airport

A few days ago I spent several hours at O'Hare airport.  As far as airports go, it is one of the biggest. b I prefer Minneapolis for friendliness and shops and walking around, but O'Hare is a great place to observe people and invent stories about their lives.    I must have walked about three miles (since I didn't get my morning run in Rockland that day) and here's a few things I observed/made up/hallucinated:

1.  People being pushed in wheelchairs or being driven in those little carts always smile apologetically at you when you look at them - unless they really NEED the wheelchair/cart.  Usually the apologetic smiley ones look pretty damn healthy and maybe just want to get to the head of the line.
2.  No one should ever blow their noses into a cloth napkin in a restaurant.  This shows a total lack of concern for the poor person that has to clean up and/or do the laundry.  Boogers do not come off in the wash and stick to other things.  People who do this probably never were wait persons and they probably also would put their cigarette ashes in their cups if they could smoke inside.
3.  You can't reason with an alcoholic.  This came from some of the conversations I had with my alcoholic brother who does not understand why he should not have to pay his own way (or heat or lights or water bills).  Trying to reason with a drunk frustrates you and irritates the drunk.
4.  When in Rome, be a Roman.
5.  You can easily walk off two pieces of french toast stuffed with some kind of fancy Italian cheese (that closely resembled cream cheese), and berries by walking around the airport and going the length of gates E, F, J, and K.
6.There's a lot of old, unretired guys that look stressed, walking around the airport, making business deals on their blackberry and wearing wrinkled suits - and aloof looking, high healed stressed looking business women with lap tops and Starbucks.  Their lives are not happy and they are frustrated and hate their jobs but have to keep up their lifestyle. They are the people that buy their kids or grandkids crappy airport gifts to make up for always being gone.
7.  Time spent with Barb and Siggie is always time well spent.
8.  Those revolving things on the toilet seat that are supposed to keep them sanitized are probably just one sheet of plastic that goes round and round - and we think we are getting a fresh one each time.
9.  People are always in too much of a hurry and too impatient and too cranky at airports. 
10.  Flying isn't as much fun as it used to be.  I long for the days when they gave you two choices of food (usually chicken or pasta) on real dishes.

I was having such a good time, that I offered to be bumped to the next flight.  Unfortunately they did not need me to do this after all so I did not get to continue my amazing revelations about the humans surrounding me.

Comments