...you looked better before my cataract surgery

Yesterday Jack the dog and  I met my friend Sid, who is 86,  and his dog Curly for our usual Sunday morning run.  He gave me his usual Drakker Noir infused hug, looked at me and said, "You look good.....but you looked better before I had my cataract surgery". 

Sid, Curly and Jack.
I laughed about that because he had already told me  how he looked in the mirror and screamed when he saw what he really looked like.  He thought he had aged 10 years.  But still, I don't want to admit that I look like a 57 year old grandma even though that is what I am.  That is only my outside.  Inside I am brand spanking new - I saw my colonoscopy pictures a few years ago....pink and unblemished.

We all view ourselves differently than other people do I think.  That is not always so bad.  You see what you want to see, and you hear what you want to hear - Dig?  

I remembered once when I was at an aerobics class 20 some years ago when the in exercise was aerobics and wearing leotards and legwarmers (the Jane Fonda era) were cool. 
Jane Fonda in her younger, pre-augmentation years.

I was looking in the mirror that was strategically placed in the front of the exercise room (or studio, as Jane used to call it).  I saw an image of what I thought was me and thought "Wow, I really look good - even taller and slim".   A bit later when I noticed that the movements in the mirror were not coordinated with my movements, I realized that the image in the mirror was a girl who was standing in front of me. 

Another heartfelt complement, akin to my friend Sid's, was offered to me by a crazy person when I was in nursing school.  I was doing my psychiatric nursing rotation on a unit in the local hospital.  I hated psychiatric nursing because I didn't know how to help people whose minds were messed up.  Also,  I didn't like the instructor and it was the only class in my entire nursing career (or even high school career) that I ever got a C grade in.  

The "zine" drugs were in then.  Thorazine, Stelazine and many others that are not used as much now.  They were given out like candy and the patients walked with what we called the "Thorazine shuffle".  Anyway I was assigned to a little old man who didn't trust me because he thought I worked for the FBA - whatever that is.  He barricaded me in his room by placing a dresser  in front of the door.  Hell I didn't know what to do so I just went along with it.  He seemed somewhat harmless if I agreed with him and just listened. 

He asked me to sit so I did.  Then he said to me "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen".

Nice complement right?  The problem with that was that he was blind.  Maybe he saw into my soul or something.  Since I really hadn't been told that by any one else at that point I was touched.

He finally let me out of the room.  I never forgot that experience.  Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, even if the beholder is blind.

Comments