crabby juice

A few days ago, our backyard looked like this:
Jack in our back yard, March 8th
Bruce and I spent a lot of the morning shoveling about 10 inches of snow despite our bad colds.  Today it will reach 60 degrees and here's the same back yard two days later:

That's March for you.  Bruce and I both have bad colds - neither of us are sick much,  but this one brought us down so that we both did nothing for a few days other than use a lot of Kleenex and cough in unison.  My sister told me to try putting vicks on the bottoms of my feet and then put socks over them and sleep like that...Jan Tucker guarantees that it is the best thing for a cough.  I did sleep better but it might just be a coincidence.  The smell of Vicks Vapo Rub brought back memories though...of my mom rubbing it on my chest and under my nostrils and putting a dab of it in the vaporizer when we were sick.  So maybe I was comforted by that.  Nothing makes one appreciate health like being sick for a few days.  Always makes me realize how lucky I am to just have these minor inconveniences.

When I was working and had a cold, I would get up, drink coffee and if I felt better after the coffee I went to work - usually the cold didn't last long because I ignored it.  If I couldn't drink coffee or I didn't feel better after it, I would stay home - I would call in and say....I flunked the coffee test so I'm staying home.  This happened maybe once/year.

Today was the day I was supposed to run ten miles with my friend Tom.  I thought about canceling last night but then I remembered two things:

1.  Maybe if I did it I would make myself feel better - sort of like the Vicks on the bottom of my feet?  Sort of like going to work?
2.  Today is the 2nd anniversary of my Mom's death.  Rather than mope about that, I would celebrate doing something that she might yell at me for doing - especially when I have a cold. But since she isn't hear to offer me that advice or give me her sympathy I will do it.

So I went out there and gave it my best effort on this beautiful day that will reach 60 degrees.  I had my Capri tights on and long sleeves and no jacket.  We ran to Casto lane through the usual hoods and ti was the perfect temperature.   Birds were singing and people were walking and it was a great spring day.  The run wasn't my best effort but it wasn't my worse either.  I made it for 9.3 of the ten - Tom kept going to get in the 10 he needs for his marathon training.  I was glad I went.

Today I will go to the liquor store and buy some whiskey.  My sister and I will share by long distance, my mom's favorite drink...whiskey and Pepsi, which she always called "crabby juice" for some reason.    We will toast her and remember good things.  Maybe she will join in - who knows?

Anyway, Ma...miss ya and thanks for all the memories.  I couldn't have asked for a better mom.

Comments

Scarlett said…
Gosh, I feel absolutely HORRIBLE about giving you guys my cold. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you ran, though. I'm on the up and up, so you guys should be better in a few days. :( Do you need me to bring you anything? Soup? Tea? What do you think?