5:05

On my first day of retirement, I woke up at 5:05 AM just like I usually did just last week and for many years before when I was gainfully employed,  but this time was without the alarm clock.  I wasn't going running since I am going to do 11 miles (11 on the 11th) tomorrow.  After I realized I didn't have to get up, I went back to sleep until 7:30.

Not sure what I will do but probably not too much the first few weeks.  The retirement or retreading, as I prefer to call it, papers are completed.  Had my last day at work.  Got lots of nice gifts.  I have begun the task of "decluttering" which I understand from other friends, is a common thing one does when one finds themselves without outside demands.

Some other things I will end up doing include going to a yoga class, eating old fashioned hot cereal because I will have the time to make it, and cleaning out my closets.  I have no need for fancy pants and tops or suits anymore.  I don't need my "dressy" shoes.  I won't live in yoga pants though because of my fear of just getting fat when I don't have a pants snap digging into my apron when I have eaten too much.  I will wear jeans and comfortable shoes and smart wool socks.  I can get my hair cut any time of the day I want and I can run any time of the day I want as well, but it will probably be just in the morning.  I will send out more thank you notes too.    I will try not to drive Bruce crazy.  I will not get sick since health insurance for retired people sucks.  I will learn everything there is to know about my new IMAC.  Maybe I will write more blogs since I was unsuccessful in beating the 2009 record in 2010.

What I did end up doing today was getting up slowly, reading the paper while sitting instead of standing at the counter, and then lifted some weights.  I had neglected my weights for a few months and my arms were once again getting puny which my big sister Barbara Jean would be sure to point out.  We gave Jack the dog a shower. I took a shower.  We went to turn in my papers and out to lunch.  I began to reorganize and toss stuff out and/or just move it around into other piles.

A friend gave me a 30 day pass at a fitness club.  They happened to have a yoga class tonight.  I called my friend Ramona and she was willing to go so we both went.  There's no time like the present and no need to put things off anymore. There never should be a reason to put anything off.  I am sure I will continue to do it after the newness of all this wears off.

I felt a big sense of loss when I went to log into my old work email.  I was denied access which makes sense since I don't work there anymore but 35 years is hard to give up.  I felt a little sad for some of the day until my sister called to tell me about a friend of hers that was killed yesterday in a car accident.  Just like that.  I am still here and retreading is good.

Saw this quote a few days ago and loved it: 

She wasn't where she had been. She wasn't where she was going...but she was on her way.....And on her way she no longer looked for the answers, but held close the two things she knew for sure. One, if a day carried strength in the morning, peace in the evening, and a little joy in between, it was a good one…and two, you can live completely without complete understanding." ~ Jodi Hills


What more can a person ask for?  I am on my way somewhere.  And the third thing I know for sure...a person should never be sorry for anything done for someone else or for being themselves and not trying to make themselves into something that others think they should be.

Comments