my best running buddy

We got Jack in June of 2000 when he was about 7 months old.  Our previous dog, Bailey had died in April of that year and I couldn't stand to be without a dog for any longer.  Kseniya and I went to the Humane Society where we were faced with what seemed to be an endless number of dogs all saying "Take ME home!".  Jack  (His name was Sunny then) was in a kennel with a big doberman and we took him outside to see what he was like.  When we brought him back in and Kseniya put him back in the cage, he stood in front of the door and would not let her out.  I said, "I guess he is coming home with us."

Jack jumped in the car and sat in the backseat very nicely - he didn't jump around or act nervous...it was as if he knew he was in the right place and his life suddenly had changed for the better.  When we got to our house, he ran into the living room and looked at Bruce as if to say "Here I am - I'm your new dog.  What do you think? " Then he ran around happily looking at things.  He was reluctant, for several days to go downstairs for some reason.  He introduced himself to both boys and instantly was part of our family. 

Right from the start, he never peed in the house.  The only thing he did that was halfway bad was once when we left him home alone for the first time, he tore up a bunch of papers and brought out some stuffed animals and a doll from Kseniya's room and pulled the hair off the doll.  He took some CDs out of my bag that I carry back and forth to work and after he chewed the cases, he managed to put them back in the bag.  Our house looked sort of ransacked when we got home but no harm done.

Another time he ate a chocolate orange, two envelopes of hot chocolate and some other various things he shouldn't have.  We took him to the vet and vomiting was induced and he was fine.  After that we learned to hide most chocolate - except for once when he ate some fudge but by that time I had learned the trick of hydrogen peroxide induced vomiting.

Jack has been my running buddy for the past ten years.  He is now 11 and slowing down but still is happy to go out even for 5 miles.  In his younger days, if I was home on a Saturday morning he would come in and nudge me till I got up and then follow me around till I got ready to run.  In the early mornings, when I would stagger to the bathroom and put on my clothes, I would find him outside the door with his paws crossed as they are in this picture, pointing to the door as if he would be able to tell somehow if I was putting on the running clothes.  If he heard the shower going, I often heard him sigh, and he would go lay back down on his bed.

While not a snuggle dog, Jack knows when I need comforting.  When my dad died, he stayed by my side all day - just being there.  He did the same when my mom died.  He will sit by me and tolerate a bit of hugging but then ...that's enough.  No matter what time or what the weather, he is ready to go run if I am.  It is because of him that I have run so many marathons.  He insists that I get enough training.  I have learned also from his joy of just being out there to "just enjoy being there".

I hate to see him slow down and sometimes I even leave him at home because he groans a lot.  I know he won't limit himself so I have to do it for him.  But he looks at me so sadly when I tell him he has to stay home.  He sighs and heads back to the bedroom.  Someday he won't get to go at all I suppose but he does pretty good for an old dog and I will enjoy our runs as long as I can.

Today we ran 5 miles. It was 17 degrees and Jack loved it - he is in his element in the cold.  Every once in a while he licks my hand as if thanking me for letting him come with me.  He is the best therapy.   He loves me even when I feel unlovable.  He is my best running buddy.

Comments