something in common

Today as I was walking to my all day downtown meeting, after parking my car in the winding parking garage and getting disoriented when I came out on the street,  after going down four flights of stairs that  smelled of a recent fart, I noticed a young lad in sweatpants running towards me on the sidewalk.  He glanced my way and I said, "Good for you, I've already done that this morning too".

Still running he  looked back, smiled the knowing smile of us smug runners, and said "How far djew go?"

"About Five miles" I said.  Shortly after those words exited my mouth I realized I had lied.  My friend Becky was late so we had to cut it short to 3 and one half.  Oh well. 

"I did 6" he said.  "We both did good already today". He ran off and I walked out of the nice morning and into my meeting.

Somehow I felt better about the day and all day as I sat in my meeting I thought about it.  No matter what else happens in a day, the memory of a morning run always makes it better.

Comments