short hair

Well I got my hair cut short today.  I usually avoid short hair because in my mind, it makes me look stubby and square.  But it was time for something different - reinventing myself maybe?  I don't know but something possessed me to say to Joni "what would you do if I told you to do anything you wanted".  She laughed an excited laugh and told me - and I said "go for it".  She was so excited.  As for me, I am not yet so sure.

I think I like it.  It makes me look perky...it is not the "helmet hair" or the pageboy of many women my age. I had enough of a perm left that it doesn't look flat and stuck to my head.  But I will miss my "pony hair" as Kseniya used to call pony tails.

My imaginary friend Jennifer, when she saw it, flicked back her long blond, natural curly hair against her creamy shoulders and said "my husband likes me with long hair.  He thinks it is more feminine.  He thinks short hair is butch".  She flicked her perfect blond hair again, pointedly and crossed her long legs and pursed her full lips - perhaps augmented with some sort of injection to make them more kissable. They were perfectly lipsticked with a berry color. 

"Well my husband likes short hair.  He always liked Hallie Berry", I said defensively, while opening my blue eyes wide (the eyes of my father) and blinking repeatedly at her - maybe to show off my new shaped and dyed eyebrows. 

"Well I guess you can always grow it out" she said.  "I guess it looks good on you.  You look younger but short women like you need to be careful with short hair.  It can make you look stubby" she said.    "I just feel more like a woman with my long hair".

That damn Jennifer.  I am never good enough for her.  She always has to find something to criticize me about.  She used to be nicer to me.  But I think she is realizing her kids aren't perfect and neither is her husband.  She won't always be beautiful.  Her parents won't always be alive.  Her hair will turn grey someday.  So I don't blame her because she is feeling  her immortality and her fleeting beauty.  It is better, I thought, as I stared at her, to not be too beautiful to begin with.   As long as a person is good enough for themselves then it is okay. And as long as they do the most good they can and realize their own shortcomings and forgive themselves. 

I have taken to buying yoga pants and outdoorsy clothes - and expensive organic sweaters. Part of reinventing myself.  And part of preparing for retirement when maybe I won't have the luxury (or the desire) to spend money on clothes.  Jennifer better realize pretty soon that she, like all of us, are temporary.  But she has a good heart and would be there for me if I needed her.  Secretly I bet she  likes my short hair and if it weren't for her bossy husband, she would cut hers.  I can kick her ass running though.

Comments