musings on a birthday eve

Well another birthday rolls around.  I don't mind, like some people do.  Everyone eventually gets to the same place.  The only thing I mind about getting older is that I am sending out more sympathy cards than any other kind of cards.  I don't have my parents to call and wish me a happy birthday anymore - my mom and dad who are responsible for me being here and some of my good and bad habits.  I got my blue eyes from my dad and I see  him there some mornings when I look in the mirror.  I have good legs like my mama  had at one time and luckily enough I have a mixture of my dad's white blond Finnish hair and my mom's red - and I am so proud that it is not yet gray and I have never colored it.  As for the less than desirable things...I don't put stuff away always and I have their high blood pressure.  My dad gave me a love for old people and animals and my mom made me appreciate the little things - she always said "people come to see you and not your house" and "you'll be better in the morning".  Both good words of wisdom although neither is always true.  Even if I don't have them anymore, I have the memories of my mom calling me and singing happy birthday to me on my answering machine at work. 

So I will wake up tomorrow (hopefully I will still be here).  I will wear something that makes me feel good and will face the day one day older and be glad for all  that I have to be glad for  including three great kids, CAJ, Scarlett,  a wonderful spouse, my sweet new grandbaby, my dog Jackie,  all my grand dogs and Barb, Siggie Ray, and lots of friends who believe in me and love me despite all my faults.  

Tomorrow, I will run in the first season snow with Jack and Becky and try not to break my leg.  Then I will go to work and find ways to make a difference and focus on the people who give me good energy.  And I will be another year older and that's okay.  Happy birthday to me.

Comments