it's my job

There are people who make a difference to others without knowing it. Many of them are not rich, famous, or involved in work that others might consider meaningful. It isn't the work they do, but how they go about doing their job.Italic

We have had a housekeeper at work who is Chinese. Her last day was Friday and I will miss her. She had to do a lot of menial tasks and probably made minimum wages. But she always had a big bright eyed smile on her face and every time I walked by her, no matter how busy I was, I made a point to say "hi" to her because she made me feel better about life. Her smile made me smile back and slow down a little. I just could not ever walk by her without at least smiling and saying "hi". Sometimes I would stop and chat with her. She always had something nice to say to me "I like your sweater, it is so bright" she would say. Her English wasn't perfect but it was sure way better than my Chinese. I noticed she talked to our staff - even the doctors. She took such pride in being a part of our team and certainly in the part she played in keeping our department clean.

On Friday, her last day, I went and got her a card and a small gift at the gift shop at work. I was very sad to think I would not see her again as she was moving back to China. Talking to some of the staff, I discovered that this person had added something to their day too. One of the techs tried to describe it but couldn't really explain it. It was if she just exuded good Karma - something really needed in a busy emergency department where a lot of bad things happen. It was if without really trying, she brought comfort to all of us.

I placed the card on her housekeeping cart hoping she would find it. She did and came back to my office and gave me a hug. She was so amazed and grateful and showed me that she had also received several other gifts from other staff members - some from other areas of the hospital where she had worked. One of the ER doctors even came up on his day off to deliver a gift to her. She had no idea that she had a profound impact on many of us and made our day brighter - not so much because of what she did, but because of how she did it.

I will miss her. As I drove home, I heard one of my favorite songs sung by Jimmy Buffett, called "It's my job". It reminded me of my Chinese friend and pretty much sums it all up. Here's the song:

In the middle of late last night I was sittin' on a curb
I didn't know what about, but I was feelin' quite disturbed
A street sweeper came whistlin' by, he was bouncin' every step I
It seemed strange how good he felt, so I asked him while he swept

He said, "It's my job to be cleaning up this mess
And that's enough reason to go for me
It's my job to be better than the rest
And that makes a day for me."

I got an uncle who owns a bank,
he's a self-made millionaire
He never had anyone to love, never had no one to care
He always seemed kinda sad to me and I asked him why that was
And he told me it's because in my contract there's this clause That says, "

It's my job to be worried half to death
And that's the thing people respect in me
It's my job but without it I'd be less
Than what I expect from me."

Now I've been lazy most all my life
writin' songs and sleepin' late
And any manual labor I've done was purely by mistake

If street sweepers can smile
then I've got no right to feel upset
But sometimes I still forget
'Til the lights go on and the stage is set
And the song hits home and you feel that sweat

It's my job to be different than the rest
And that's enough reason to go for me
It's my job to be better than the rest
And that's a rough break for me

Happy people find happiness and meaning in whatever their job is. These people make life better for the rest of us.

Comments