56 year old women

"When a person thinks of a 56 year old woman, they usually don't think of someone who looks as good as you", my sweet spouse since I was way less than these years said to me one day. I thought it was a pretty nice thing to say except it did remind me that I am, indeed, a 56 year old woman (and almost 57).

When I was in my 20's, I could not imagine being 50 anything. That was old. I did not appreciate my smooth unsaggy skin or my flat (well sort of) stomach. Of course, like most woman, I wanted to lose 5 more pounds....just 5 more and I would feel perfect. My mom was in her 50's when her first grandchild, my sweet daughter was born. I thought she was old and certainly grandma material. Now I am there - and about to be a grandma but inside I feel young. The wrapping paper has just gotten a little, well, crinkly.

Can any of us ever appreciate how good we look wearing this very moment? I think not. Why is it that women, myself included, always find fault with everything about themselves at any age? Why is there always 5 more pounds to lose? Why do we dress ourselves in criticism no matter how we look.

I decided to do a quick inventory of things I like about my looks. There's definitely my hair, which has resisted turning gray or pink and I have resisted dyeing it any other color. I wanted it to be curly but it is straight and still a pretty strawberry blonde which is in direct opposition of what "a 56 year old woman should have". Most people don't believe me when I say it is virgin hair and I have never colored it.

I also like my blue eye - the eyes of my daddy - and my brother and some of my kids. My legs are good - well turned ankles as Bruce also says - and great muscles from miles of running. But what do I focus on? Knee wrinkles! For God sake, I am not 21 or even 31 or 41.

As for the girls...they are okay - if not at their perkiest state. At least I will never have to tuck them in my pants.

Yup - I am okay for a 56 year old women who feels like a girl on the inside. And when I am old, I won't wear purple. But I won't wear Koret or pants with elastic waists either! I am going to wear, and look good in the moment.

Comments