31 coming up

Tomorrow morning I am headed to Austin, Texas to run the Austin City Marathon on Sunday. It will be my 31st marathon and the first one in a new age group. I feel ready, but I have no idea how I will do. One learns to never project. It is good to be positive, but nothing is guaranteed.

One thing I know for sure is that while I am out there for nearly four hours, amongst mostly people I don't know and a few I do, I will be in my element. I can be who I want and I can leave work behind. I won't think of the economy, how my sister doesn't like Obama, and the things I didn't do right when my kids were little. In my mind I will be younger than my years and I will forget all the things that I am not and feel lucky and proud to be what and who I am. I will feel good about doing a lot more on a Sunday morning than many women my age and younger. I can forget all of my insecurities of not measuring up to what I think some people think I should be. I will just let it all go.

My short and great legs -for-a-woman-of-my-age will carry me once again for the 26.2 miles and I will think good thoughts for a lot of people who can't run - some living and some not. I will run for them and number 31 will be good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
good for a woman of any age although probably too short for a woman six feet tall