Random thoughts and one more January 5th

I figured I better have one more post in January so here is my final entry for this month, filled with this and that. I did find one more January 5th in an old running journal from 1981, The complete runner's day-by-day log and calendar authored by the now dead James Fixx. James Fixx was one of the gurus of the running movement and ironically enough, died from an undiagnosed heart condition. Just goes to show you that you can do everything right and still die from something you work hard to prevent. I guess we all work hard our entire lives to prevent death, pretty much. And sometimes folks work too hard all of their lives and die just when they are able to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Anyway, on January 5th 1981, the entry says.
School starts. 2:30 Pm to park - once around and back. 5 miles. Ran with Kris F. First time in a week - felt a little stiff - first day of period.
Wow, that was in the days when I still had a uterus! It was also the year that long gone uterus became a home for my second born and I ran three races(10k) while pregnant, the last one at 5 months along. I had decent times too, all under 55 minutes. It also was a time in my life where I was not happy with myself and had a lot of entries about needing to lose weight. I am pleased that currently (and probably because of running) I only weigh 4 pounds more than I did then.
Speaking of uterus', I often wonder where mine is, along with the ovaries and the fallopian tubes? And my left over eggs? Do they become part of the cosmic order or were they really able to be destroyed in the pathology lab after the pathologist deemed them not dangerous to my health. It seems like somewhere those parts should still exist or have been reincarnated into someone else or something. I don't worry about this too often though. I hope they are part of the reproductive force in the stream of life (yup that was pretty poor).
Back to the future - to today and 6:15 Am. Jack and I ran even though it was 13 degrees out and icy. I had to go. I hadn't gone in 3 days. I needed a fix. It was good. We both had frost on us - Jack in his whiskers and me on my cheek fuzz. There weren't other runners out there and I let Jack off his leash at the park. He bounded through the snow just happy to be there.
I believe running is pretty much a cure for everything. I feel as though I have lost ten pounds in one run. I imagine my clothes fit better. My face looks shiny (or is that just frost bite). I feel happier and eat better. My mind is calmer and I feel more confident. It is better than any drug and I hope I can do it for a long long time. I may give up marathons (if I have to) but will be happy to run even 3 miles a day till I am 99.
One other thing I have not been able to give up is my love for doing patient care. I am an administrative type nurse and while it is not my job to do direct care, I can't seem to entirely give it up. It isn't that a person forgets how to be a nurse it is the technology and the organizational skills you lose. I am so glad that I am a nurse because it has helped me to be comfortable giving both my parents a bath, to suction my friend Bob's trach and to support some of my friends through deaths of their loved ones. It certainly is a profession that is part of your life. Anyway today I helped out for a few hours and no one died.
I was talking to two colleagues at work who have young children. I was realizing how good it is to have a daughter. I shared with them (both have young daugthers) that one of the good things is that daughters will never let you dress in Koret - you know, the shirts with embroidery and cuffs that match the print in the elastic waist pants. My sweet daughter keeps me ordering from J.Crew and buying jeans that are not "mom jeans" that sit above the belly button. I guess my sons support this too. One son bought me orange rubber boots with yellow polka dots. Everyone thinks I am cool when I wear these.
And I am.

Comments

Anonymous said…
you're cool even when you don't wear your boots.