random rants while running

Today my friend Becky and I ran at our usual 5:40 AM time. It was destined to be an F - bomb run where we threw the word around like it was something we always said (we don't). I hadn't felt the best because I have my first urinary tract infection since I was pregnant (a common event during pregnancy). I knew I would not run on my own but called her the night before and she wanted to go...that's what friends are for....to keep each other running. I woke up and didn't feel that sense of urgency to pee like I did the day before so off we went, Jack, Becky and I. It is darker in the morning than it used to be so I even put on my reflective vest.

The cool thing about an F bomb rant run is that since one or the other is bitching about something, we don't have time to notice if we feel crappy or have to pee, or whatever. Oh we know we both have it good - good job, good spouses, good kids, but sometimes a person just has to bitch about stuff - work, spouses, kids - I guess mostly about the injustices we feel that have been inflicted on us unfairly - including saggy boobs, wrinkles and other inevitable age things.

I read somewhere that using expletives actually increases endorphins and helps with pain - making it more tolerable. I guess that is true for emotional pain as well because after an F bomb run, I feel a lot better. When I fell and broke my leg, I said a lot of things my Mormon neighbors would not have liked hearing - mostly "sonofabitch!" like Sawyer from the series "Lost" said and I loved how he said it with such emphasis. Anyway my leg felt better but it was still broken!

Becky and I have a rule "what happens on the run, stays on the run". So we don't divulge each other's secrets. We also leave our bad attitudes and F bombs on the road within a 5 mile radius from my house where they can dissipate into the atmosphere and mingle with exhaust from the big SUVs. Before she gets into her car to drive home and off to work, she usually says "Try to be happy". This comes from one of her granddaughters who once went and sat in a rocking chair at her house and closed her eyes". When Becky asked her what she was doing she said "I'm trying to be happy!". I love that story. Happiness isn't always that easy and you really have to try sometimes to make yourself so.

The other thing Becky says to me is "Don't get sucked in". We often talk about how easy it is to get sucked into things at work - other people's problems, the politics, etc - enough to make us forget how good we have it. So I always vow to not get sucked in.

Life is always better after a good F bomb run. And thank God for friends who keep me on the road - and keep me sane.

Comments