start from where you are

My friend Sid (84 years old), which is not really important but inspirational and also the same age within one week, that my dad would have been if he had not up and died at 81, brought me over a book called "The right to Write". The first thing it suggested was to just write three pages from where you are at the time and to not worry about if it made sense or if it was (were) grammatically correct.

So where I am is sitting here with a fractured fibula, slowly mending, with 7 screws (typically 6 but Check Spellingone more for good measure) and a plate, stitches out, mild infection for which I am taking Keflex (when I remember) after having watched 4 episodes of "Lost". I am wondering if I should take a lortab before bed because my leg is starting to hurt just a little bit. I have a new scooter. I got a scooter to scoot around on at work but it is too big. Since, when you are injured, people do nice things for you like send you a bunch of cards, flowers, prayer shawls, food, etc, my friend Becky (the sole witness to my fall) got a smaller scooter from a friend at work who no longer needs it so I can scoot on the right sized scooter.

I am wondering if my imaginary friend Jennifer ever broke a bone? I bet she has not. Or maybe her husband beats her and she has had a fractured femur because they usually beat you where the bruises don't show? If she doesn't have an abusive husband, then she probably will catch up to me on the running front. Speaking of which, I haven't run (ran) for about 2 weeks. I feel my calf muscles disintegrating and my lungs getting weak...but I did crutch up the hill by my house and down - wore me out but gave me endorphins...who knew that walking on crutches used so much of one's ab muscles? I, for one, did not. I also lifted weights today and did some one legged naked yoga stretches...okay so I really did not do them naked.

I am humbled by the kindness of friends. I have received more cards and flowers than when my mom died and my leg is not even dead. I have gotten books and have read about three of them. My son gave me some movies and we watched two of them (and the 6 so far, episodes of "Lost"). I don't like that there is a dog in the series because when a dog is in something like this, something bad always happens.

I wonder if I will lose some weight because my leg is broken and it takes calories to heal and I really don't have much of an appetite when I don't run? Or will I turn into a blimp with wimpy calf muscles? Stay tuned for the next 6 weeks or maybe 4-6 months and we shall see. Maybe I will come back with my best time ever in St. George?

I do have to go back to work on Monday. That's okay. A person can't sit around all day in a chair and do a few wts, read a few books, look at facebook and crutch up the hill forever. It all makes me appreciate my usually good health though.

What to do people do that don't have anyone to help them? I don't know what I would do without Bruce although I might be driving him crazy and he might be glad when I go back to work but maybe not. And when I see people out running and it is so nice out it makes it hard for me to keep my good nature.

My neighbor Enid made me a lemon meringue pie that was really good. She also brought us some bread. I got a phone call from my 95 year old friend and my other 86 year old friend from church brought me a magazine an apple, and a crossword puzzle book. People are good.

Okay so that is where I am. I will spell check this even if I don't reread it because that is how I am. I will take the keflex that I forgot and pass on the lortab. It isn't that bad. Then I will watch the news and go to bed and do some more of the stuff I did today and be glad that it is not worse.

Comments