whatever happens to rejected parts?

My sister and I were texting each other tonight (after already having had our evening chat and the signing off "I love you" that we have been doing ever since our mom died 10 months ago and isn't here to tell us that). We ended our conversation discussing the possibility of Scarlett and Bill having twins. Barb was pretty sure that there were twins on both sides of our family. We knew Grandpa Ojanen had a twin brother and she was sure that there were some on my mom's side, but she just couldn't remember. We hung up frustrated because we couldn't even ask anyone.

Barb's first text said "Aunt Lucille and Uncle Jack?" (my mom's mom's siblings).
"They were twins?" I asked. I remembered that they did look alike....what I could remember of them. They both had what we call the Maxfield eyes - eyes that always make you look half awake and in need of eyelid lifting surgery.

"I think so" she responded. "I would have had twins according to a palm reader years ago".

"You still have your parts. There's still time" I said.

"They don't work anymore. They retired". She said.

"Mine were fired" I said.

"Tossed in the trash" she responded.

"Yup. A part of me, tossed away, just like that!" I said.

"Probably with dad's leg somewhere" she said.

"Ha ha, probably floating around somewhere. I will have to write about that". With that our conversation ended and she, being in a time zone two hours later than me, probably went to bed.

It is a funny thought, my uterus and all the accessories - tubes, ovaries, endometrial tissue, eggs- floating somewhere in the universe, gently bumping into other spare parts - like my dad's leg (was it his right or left? I can't remember), my uncle Charlie's (right or left) arm and even Van Gogh's ear (and maybe Bruce's appendix?).

Medically and logically, I know removed parts get sent to pathology and then to a red "hazardous waste" bin and then hauled off somewhere and....then what? I guess I don't really care but those parts all were important to those of us who lost them. And can they really ever be destroyed?

I am grateful though that it's my uterus out there bumping into other discarded parts in some other dimension and not my leg. I can run without a uterus but would find it difficult (but not impossible) without a leg.

Comments