moons and junes

....and Ferris wheels, the dizzy-dancing way you feel. When every fairy tale come real, I've looked at life that way.....

I love the month of June. It is the hump month of the season, just like Wednesday is the hump day of the week - but not like Wednesday's child ,who is full of woe.

June is still spring, and not yet summer. The days are still getting lighter and the air smells allergy good and the flowers are blossoming. We can keep the windows open at night and hear the somewhat irritating chimes that were given to me to remember my mom by every time they jangled. June is the lull before summer kicks in with it's heat and the celebrations of July and the back to school preparations of August.

On June 21st, the first day of summer and also my third fatherless father's day, the days will be begin getting seconds, then minutes shorter. But for now, Jack and I can get up at 5:05 to wait for Becky and I can wear T-shirts and shorts instead of jackets and tights. It is light outside when we leave and we see other people running - those sluggards that only run in the summer when they can see where they are going. Today we saw a fawn bouncing across the road, looking for it's momma maybe. We also can notice the increased zeriscaping and what my friend Sid calls the mascara yards - those who have black outlines around their gardens.

In June I vow to sit in our yard more after work and drink a gin and tonic and just enjoy it. I am grateful for my resiliency and my health, but aware of my fragility and the groans of Jack the dog when he gets up. At 9, he has no plans of turning down an offer to run. At 55 neither do I.

I've looked at life from both sides now, from in and out and still somehow, it's clouds illusions I recall, I really don't know clouds at all.

I do know that June is my favorite month and I will savor it and sit in the yard more. Life is short. That's one thing that dogs know but people forget.

Comments