if I get my new cowboy suit today, I'm wearing it to work

This catchy title came from something my sister Barbara Jean said in a dream, to a cook in the restaurant where she, my mom and I used to work years ago. My sister, my mom and I always had weird dreams, and we always shared them with each other. Since my mom's death, Barb and I have been waiting to hear from my mom in our dreams. So far, Barb has not, but a sparrow keeps coming into her yard and letting her pet it, so that must be some sort of a sign.

My sister's weird dreams differ from mine in that she often has phrases that make no sense in the dream and she remembers them. My favorite one, which is written in magic marker on my old bedroom wall back in the caving in and dying old house. It says "Did you step in my reffing jet needle service?" We have never figured that one out and I don't think we ever will.

I have had dreams of my mom, but she mostly doesn't talk to me. The most recent dream involved both my parents. My dad was sitting with his head on the old wooden stove in our old house, crying. He said he had a hernia. I looked at his left side, which was bulging out to the point that I could see his lower ribs being pushed close to the skin. My mom appeared and said "Well just push on it and it will all go back in", which she proceeded to do with no success that I remember in that dream. She did not speak to me though.

I do think sometimes she speaks to me when I am running or at least tries to. The smells all last week, from our frequent rainfalls made everything smell like it did back there. Sometimes I think of her and how much she liked looking at the mountains out here, but also how she always missed her small town and Jan Tucker's radio program. Maybe I am just not open enough for her to get through or maybe our loved ones who die are just to busy to deal with us down here.

Whatever the case, I sure hope Barbara Jean wears her cowboy suit to work!

Comments