tea and rum, a bad cold and 13 miles

Nothing like having a bad cold to make a person feel lucky for usual health and good runs on Saturday. And nothing like 3 good friends who show up in 17 degree weather to run with me to make me forget I feel like crap.

Yeah I am lucky. I never get sick. I wrote an email to my friends, suggesting we do the Cottonbottom run, which is 13 miles. When I woke up with my dry cough, headache, and general feelings of lousiness, I thought "I will never make it". I had my coffee, passed what I call the "coffee test" and then I was thinking "maybe".

When I saw Suzanne, Paula and Tom pull up to my house, I thought "Hell, I can do this". My friends who I have been running with for years, gave me some added energy that I didn't know I had, and Suzanne and I made it to the Cottonbottom - I felt pretty good. I had violated one of my own rules though....never decide how you feel on the run until you have gone 3 miles or 30 minutes - whatever comes first.

I felt pretty good as we ran along a route that we have done many times. I am training for a marathon in Austin next month - about 5 weeks away. I should be doing long runs according to all the marathon running plans. After running 30 marathons already, I think the only good marathon training is what works for a person. Forget about interval training, fartleks, and building up to that long run - do what works for you.

Mostly, running marathons is a head game. This am when I woke up I was thinking how I would never be ready for Austin. After 13 miles, that all changed and I thought "I can do this". And I can and will. I am 55 years old, this will be marathon 31, and I will be there and it will be great. I love endorphins and what they do.

After I got home, the cold came back to remind me of my mortality and my usual good health. I dumped some rum leftover from Christmas into my green tea. Life is good even with a cold. And I ran 13 miles despite it. Thank God for good friends who encourage me and keep me from quitting. Ron I sure wish you were here to run with us!

Comments