it's a wonderful world

I grew up in the 60's. It was a great time to be a kid - except if you were black. As a child, I was mostly oblivious to all the prejudices in the world because in my little town, there were no African Americans or "colored people" like my mom and dad called them. There was a kids book called "Little Black Sambo" and we could go to Born's store in our town and buy "nigger babies" which were little black licorice candies shaped like babies. I didn't know this was bad and I didn't know about the klu klux clan or that some kids my age had to go to all black schools, couldn't eat in certain restaurants and that there were designated drinking fountains for blacks and whites. I grew up sheltered in a town where everyone was pretty much like me.

I didn't see an African American except on TV, until I was in high school and my sister and I took a trip to Milwaukee. By then, I was aware of the injustices in the world. I was not brought up to think I was better than anyone else. Most of the time I think I thought I was not as good as my friends who had nice homes.

I remember reading "Black like me" when I was in college. I remember when Martin Luther King was shot and I remember JFK , Rosa Parks and civil rights.

It is amazing that it took this long and we aren't there yet. I am amazed that so many people still hate people who are different in any way - color, sexual preference, or religious believes. But today the world seems a better place and people once again have hope - something that seemed to be lost with President Bush.

Can so many people be wrong? My sister thinks so. She refuses to acknowledge that Obama might be a good guy. She can't tell me why she doesn't like him or why she voted for McCain.

Today I felt pity for George Bush as he slunk out of office and headed back to Texas, amid the singing of "na na na na, hey, hey hey, goodbye! But then I have always been a sucker for the underdog. I am sure he did what HE thought was right. He also did a lot of damage that will take a long time to fix.

There's a lot of pressure on our new president. He is not going to be or is he perfect by any means. But I have never seen such support for a new president since JFK was elected. I have never seen such hope and so many people all over the world so excited and positive and inspired. I felt happy all day to be part of history and something big.

What a great day for our country to have the first African American President - it is time, it is a new day and yes, we sure did!

Comments