jennifer

Tonight I baked roles for a meeting tomorrow. Since I never cook or at least hardly ever, it makes me feel very domestic. I think about what it would be like to be a woman named Jennifer. Jennifer is tall (but not too), blond (real) slender, with firm bosoms and a nipped waist. She wears white gauzy dresses that never get dirty and it is a contrast to her beautiful golden skin (no fake bake). Her golden hair spills down her back in perfect natural curls with little wisps around her face when she is glistening. She never sweats and she never has to shorten her pants, partly because she is tall enough to find the perfect size but also because she always has some kind of dress on that she has made that looks perfect. She also sews clothes for her children and makes sweaters out of the wool she gets from her lambs in the back yard. She makes her own soap, and weaves rugs out of all her old plastic bags.

You can find me as Jennifer in a garden or flower bed, weeding. I don't work outside my home. My children come home from school and I have cookies made from stone ground flower and chocolate chips grown in my garden. They tell me about their day before they do their homework, practice piano, send their leftovers to starving children in China and then obediently go right to bed after I read them a bed time story. I have waited to have dinner with my spouse, who is working late. I have time for a warm bath, to redo my perfect hair and put on a new homemade dress. The soup is simmering and the rolls are warm because I have rewarmed them before he gets home. I listen to stories of his day. I tell him about my volunteer work and we laugh about the antics of our perfect children. Desert is always something healthy. We eat dinner and then do yoga and meditate together. Then we go to bed. Neither of us ever gains weight and we look just like we did in high school.

As Jennifer, I wake up before everyone else, do more yoga and feel refreshed. I squeeze some oranges for juice and make a pot of organic oatmeal. I put an apron over my gauze dress and then go out to my garden, barefoot, and pick some flowers, placing them in my apron, and hum softly to myself in the morning mist. I plan my daily events and get started on dinner.

I don't think I would like to be this perfect Jennifer, but it is fun fantasizing about not having to shorten my pants.

Comments

AmyP said…
Can I just have the rolls please? Speaking of home ground wheat...I found a spice and wheat grinder (hand grinder) in the Emergency preparedness catalog...I thought I could buy it, so we can use it to grind coffee beans the next time the power went out :) ap