The Little Old Man







The little old man

Stood his ground

Proudly despite outliving several other humans

Not loved enough until he met Charlene

And was fed Biscotti and allowed

To lick the bowl after rice pudding

And sleep in her bed

On Monday nights when I visited

I took him for walks 

he trotted, happy to be outside
Peed, but then came in and peed again

On Charlene’s garbage can 

His worried, opaque eyes followed her

Into the bathroom and then 

While she lay dying 

He slept by her  side, not wanting to leave her

Char wanted us to euthanize him so they 

Would not be separated in death

But he had more life to live
Even though he had no teeth and he was worn 

Like the velveteen rabbit

His worried eyes at her funeral seemed to beg me
For one last chance
And I took him home 

Where he loved Toby and romped like a lamb

In the backyard

Until he deemed it was his time
I never got him a name tag
Thinking that he would never go far without me
Now I know he was never mine

 He was just a guest, just passing through
On his way back to Charlene



Comments