A prayer for my legs



I am sorry,  my short, but sturdy legs
The legs of my mother, well turned ankles and calf muscles 
that draw compliments from other runners 
Sorry I didn’t listen to you when you gently told me 
“Look we are older and we have carried you through many marathons
St. George.  New York.  Boston, twice 
Please, we beg you to lower your expectations
We got back into shape after a broken fibula
Torn tendons and meniscuses
But you want to keep going 
And deny us rest so we can heal
Give us a break 
(no pun intended)
Rest,  Ice.  Elevate
Respect our years and be proud
Your age group in races is getting smaller and smaller 
 We will keep you running
If you just accept the slowing down
We will hold you up as long as we can
My strong legs, I am sorry I only noticed your wrinkled skin 
and the ache from sciatica
And the knee pain, persistent, tolerable, it will abate
I am sorry I stubbornly ran on days when you said don’t
I will listen now and be joyful to just be out there
No matter the distance, it's always enough
And I will rest, Ice, and elevate

Comments