Notes in the time of Corona: A prayer of gratitude for gummy bears




I am grateful for the gummy bears
And the  unknown person who places them 
Alone or in groups along the railing
Overlooking the melted snow waters 
Of the creek below
Red, green, yellow, white, sometimes a few,
And sometimes many, gathered or scattered
Waiting for me to run by with my dog Toby
Good for you for being out here, they say
With their sticky mouths and high pitched voices
I miss them when they are not there
Sometimes there is only one and I am sad
Where is his family and why is he alone?  
Did the wind blow the others into the creek
Were they eaten by dogs?
Did they dive off in despair?
But then they return in different colors 
Sometimes in non bear shapes, just lumps
In a circular arrangement on a nearby rock
with a big  red cinnamon bear in the middle
As if leading a meditation 
Or giving instructions for some unknown task
Does someone sneak in at night
And place them there for the world to see?
I don’t know but they make me happy
If I was plugged into music I might miss them
And run right by their happy presence

Comments