a child was born just the other day...

...he came to the world in the usual way."   Despite having given birth three times, to three beautiful children I still can't believe that a baby can stay scrunched up inside a woman's body, tucked into the expanding balloon like uterus, crowding out the bladder, stomach and other important parts, and all the while, changing from the united egg and sperm into a person who will grow up and have an impact on many people and the world -hopefully for the better.  My mind starts thinking about our children and their uniqueness and the complexity of everyone in the world -  I think weird thoughts like, "If a different sperm had met up with my monthly egg , outswimming the other little guys, we would have gotten totally different children who would have gone down different paths and the world would be different and I would be different...." I also wonder how in the world a baby can emerge from the mysterious vagina - a complicated part of the woman's body that most women (and men)  don't know enough about.  I mean you know what it is for, but can you name all the intricate little parts?  Men are lucky to have a very basic piece of equipment with really only three main parts. 

 Our second grandson was born on April 17th shortly after noon.   Roman Daniel Thomas.  I got a text from his daddy, Billy, saying that "although Scarlett doesn't have a job, she is definitely in _____".  I filled in the blank correctly "labor".  Then I sat down to knit and wait, much like my mom did while she awaited the birth of her own grandkids - our three children.  There was not much else I could do or wanted to do other than be there at that hospital in Bogota, Colombia - in the waiting room waiting, like I did almost four years ago, here at the University hospital in a dirty little waiting room, awaiting the birth of our first grandchild, Desmond, who is now a big brother.


Scarlett looking pretty amazing after childbirth...I am glad no one took pictures of me right after giving birth!
Our son is a good daddy

Roman Daniel Thomas - looking a little disappointed to be sprung from the safest place he will ever be.

Look how long this sweet baby boy looks.  He seems somewhat reluctant to face this world.  He has his mom's hair and his dad's lips, I think.  Maybe he has my thighs and his grandpas nose.  It's always amazing to see so many people from both sides of our families, represented in a newborn baby.

As I sat and knitted, I felt close to my mom.  I always feel her presence when I am with Desmond too.  I think she kissed sweet Roman on the forehead and sent him on his way and his destiny, just as she did Desmond.  I understand my mom more now that I am a grandma and realize the love she felt for our kids and how sad she must have been that she didn't see them more often.  I think she approves of the "Mimi" I have become.

Des is a big brother now and already he loves Roman.   Roman and sweet Des have no idea how much they are loved, by so many people - even some they have never met.
Billy and Kseniya loving their baby brother Dan
Babies are born every moment.  And, with each birth,  the world changes forever.  Just like when people leave it.

Comments