what a hospital cafeteria cook can teach you about kindness

A few nights ago I had a work dream of a different variety.  I was attending an emergency department nursing conference and was a speaker.  Unfortunately I had forgotten I was asked to speak and was not at all prepared. 

"But I am not even working anymore," I protested to someone who remained unidentified in my dream. 

"Well you said you would speak" that person said.  "And they are counting on you". 

I thought of all my work experiences/accomplishments.  I could talk about doing evaluations or putting together a budget or creating a new charge nurse role.  But I wasn't working.   So I would not be credible as a speaker. 

Then it came to me....the title of my speech would be "What a hospital cafeteria cook can teach you about kindness". 

I woke up wondering how I would have pulled this off.   I did know a lot of hospital cooks in my time and many of them were great at what they did - but I could not think of one thing they did that taught me about kindness.

A lot of kindness platitudes/songs that I could have used ran through my head all day:

"In the end, only kindness matters"   Sara Mclachlan lyrics
"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted"  I don't know who said this.
"My religion is simple.  My religion is kindness"  Dali Lama
"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late".  Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Not a bad topic I guess, but sure glad it was a dream.  Too bad kindness is becoming less and less common - but a girl can dream.   

Comments