that "C" word.

I have weird dreams.  Some of them are so bad that I don't share them with others, and they cause me to question my sanity or lack thereof.  Like the one where my calf muscles really weren't muscles but Orio cookies nicely stashed inside the back of my leg.

My most recent weird dream involved my grandpa Ojanen - my dad's dad.  He died when he was 94 and was a strong Finnish man of few words - but a wise man who worked hard his entire life after leaving Finland when he was 18 as a result of a fight with his drunk father.  He swore he would never return to Finland and never did, leaving behind a twin brother and other siblings we never met.  Instead he settled in Greenland, MI and later in Mudd Creek, after building a home and a farm there and raising a family - the youngest who became my dad.  I was closer to grandpa (despite that he would not let me drive a tractor because I was "just a girl") than my grandma Ojanen, who was not very affectionate and seemed her entire life, to think she was dying of something.  Of course, eventually she did.  I only remember her touch when she braided my hair in french braids - pulling on the braids so tightly that I got an instant face lift and slanty eyes.  Oh and she made really good  chocolate cake with white frosting that you could peel off and eat in strips.  I haven't had anything like that since.  She taught me to like good coffee too, giving me, at three years of age, coffee mixed with an equal amounts of milk fresh from the cows in her barn.

In this dream, grandpa Ojanen was in a nursing home and was not being treated very well by the nurse.  Grandpa was very vocal and well dressed and protesting his less than respectful treatment.   I argued with the nurse who accused me of calling him a "clit".  Now  I can't imagine what would possess me to ever call anyone that (or that other "C" word that women universally hate, because it sounds so short and dirty) - especially a guy who was a nurse taking care of my grandpa.   He kept roughly tossing my grandpa around till he landed on the bed and just lay there like a rag doll.

All of a sudden my grandpa looked up at me and said, "Wow" I have a hard on.  Haven't had one of these in a long time".

I didn't know how to respond to this.  So I woke up thinking how much there was about my grandpa that I didn't know.  Mostly I realized, he was human and at one time, a hard on would have  been useful to him.  I don't think he would have ever announced it, though.




Comments