seens from a run

Last week I was in Winston Salem, North Carolina, at this great place called the Graylyn.  I was at a meeting, but that's not important to this blog - not really - or at least this is not what this post is about - I will save it for another time.  My room was originally a horse stable.  That's not so important either.  It was a nice room with rock walls and a long weird area where if I was so inclined, I could have practiced yoga. 

On the last morning of the meeting, I woke up at 5:45 to the alarm on my not smart phone.  I set the alarm cause I wanted to go running.   I have just gotten back into it after the shoulder surgery.  But when I woke up I didn't want to go even though I wanted to go.   My meeting started at 8.  I didn't have coffee in the room and I need my coffee before running.  I had a Crown Royale and Coke (fancy crabby juice) and a few glasses of wine with dinner and my head was a little sore and my throat parched.  My surgerized rotator cuff hurt.  So I stayed in the horse stable room in the comfy bed till 6:15.  I heard my inner child voice say "get your fat almost 60 year old ass out of bed and go".  My once perfect ass is not fat, but also not perfect as it once was.  But the line of demarcation still exists, Bruce tells me.

So I did. Without coffee but with my camera.  Opening the door, I saw that the sidewalk was wet and thought it might have rained during the night.  But I realized it was dew.  What is dew?

dew  (d, dy)
n.
1. Water droplets condensed from the air, usually at night, onto cool surfaces.
2. Something moist, fresh, pure, or renewing: "The timely dew of sleep/. . . inclines/Our eye-lids" (John Milton).
3. Moisture, as in the form of tears or perspiration, that appears in small drops.
tr.v. dewed, dew·ing, dews
To wet with or as if with dew.
We have no dew in Utah.  We barely have humidity.  I really hadn't seen dew in a long time.   When I told my sister I saw dew, she asked "did you see Puts?"  She was referring to a pair of brothers nicknamed "Puts and Dew" from our childhood.  No one else would know about this and furthermore, no one probably would care.  But it is one thing sisters can do....comment on things that the other one will remember and appreciate and know exactly what is meant.
What greeted me as I walked out my door, coffeeless
 Below are a few more pics of the early morning grounds of the Grayyn


Early morning mist - so pretty


I crossed the street and continued my run into a beautiful neighborhood where everyone seemed to still be asleep.  No sounds, no dogs, no people.  Just beautiful , well groomed yards, houses and blossoming trees.    I was glad to be out there with my thoughts.  Out of respect, I took no pictures in the nice neighborhood.
"Everyone pulls up their pants the same way every morning",  I heard my grandmother whisper, as I turned around.
She is so right.  As I headed back for  coffee and a shower and my meeting I was glad I was out there.  And thankful for dew.  And my sister, who remembers Puts.

Comments