today's playlist

It was 15 degrees this am so I put off my run till about 930 when it was at least 20 degrees.  The little dogs were not happy to be left home.

If you look closely you can see the little dogs in the window
I started out thinking that I was going to just do a short run - 5 miles maybe.  I know five miles is a respectable distance and I don't mean to brag.  It's just that when one is training for a half marathon, 5 miles is a shorter distance.  The older I get the more I appreciate even a two mile run....I am just happy to be out there and I don't care about how far or how fast. 

On this day it was just me and the iPod.   I put it on "shuffle" and it played so many good songs that I kept telling myself that I would just keep going until I heard a song I did not like so much and then I would turn around.  I started out with an old tune by Melanie "Look what they done to my song, ma".  Reminded me of my sister cause we always liked this one.  Then as I headed up the hill on 33rd South, I got Doris Day and "Que Sera Sera".  Good old Doris Day - talk about a Polyanna!  And a great animal advocate. 

The next several songs got me to the Castle House (a house that has turrets and looks like a castle, thus named the Castle house):

"The End of the End" by Paul McCartney.  My friend and former running buddy who died from Lou Gehrig's disease used this song to say goodbye to us just before he died - and I think of him every time I hear it.  Paul McCartney still has it and the lyrics to this song are just beautiful.
"Passionate Kisses" by Mary Chapin Carpenter - a great running song.  "Shouldn't I have this, shouldn't I have this shouldn't I have all of this and....passionate kisses, from you.
"Bridge over troubled waters"
"Baby you can drive my car"
"Somewhere out there"...my youngest son and I used to dance around the living room when this song played in the movie "An American Tale".
"La Vie En Rose"  Louis Armstrong.  Such a nice, romantic song - Billy made Scarlett a picture with the words to the song on it when they got engaged.
"Dream a little dream of me".  Mamas and Pappas"  Poor mama Cass died too early, choking on a ham sandwich of all things.

I would have turned home at this point which would have given me 6 miles,  but I liked the next song which was "Free Bird" by Leonard Skynnard and my brother's theme song.  It's a really long song and it took me all the way to 45th South and Olympus Hills Park which was snow packed and beautiful but hard to keep my footing.

Speaking of footing, I had my new shoes on, which were a nice contrast in the snow.
I did turn around at 45th South despite liking the song "Smiling Happy People" by REM.  I have a race to run on Sunday so didn't want to get too crazy.  I would be at 7 miles by the time I got home.

Just as Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" was finishing, I came across a man walking, "Good work, he yelled.  Keep going.  Keep running". 

I turned around and went back to him, and said "Thanks.  Looks like you are doing pretty good too".

"I am 92 years old and did my last marathon at 70.  I walk a mile every day. Sure wish I could run.  You are an inspiration" he said.

Funny, I was thinking that he was the inspiration.  I told him so and then asked him if I could take his picture.  He said yes, but he wouldn't smile cause he didn't have teeth!

My new friend Jake, 92 and still going.  Kind of reminded me of my daddy.

"Keep active and eat good, and you will live to be 92 too".

I gave him a hug and a high five and inspired, ran a little faster up the next hill to the tune of "From a Distance"  by Nancy Griffith. 

As I went down the hill to my house and the waiting dogs,  The Charlie Daniels band cheered me on with "The Devil went down to Georgia". 

It was a good run and a good playlist.  Some days are just like that. 

Comments