the joy of new toilet bowl brushes

A few weeks ago,  I ventured out into the world to mail a package and to do some wandering.  My favorite wandering places are discount stores, like Ross and T.J. Maxx.  Now that I am retired I can go to them frequently enough to find really good deals.  And on Tuesdays, Ross offers a 10% discount to people over 55 years old.

Although I am over 55, I always secretly hope they will ask me how old I am, instead of just giving me the discount.  I refuse to believe I look a day over....54?   Anyway, I got two really nice toilet bowl brushes and holders to replace our old rusty looking ones.  They were a really good deal, especially with the discount added on.

I was walking to my car and smiling at how good it made me feel to make these insignificant purchases.  I was also thinking how much I liked having a pink and a green bathroom - who cares if it is so sixties?  Someday it will be back in style.

An older woman heading into the store to get her 10% discount, said to me "You are so pretty.  I love your smile!".

Wow.  That has never happened to me before and it made me happy that someone had taken the time to comment.  It made me realize how much our unconscious moods or thoughts can be reflected on our faces and have an impact on other people.    I had to just sit in my car for a moment and ponder.  We don't realize the responsibility we have to add to the good energy in the world.   I was going to find an opportunity to pay it forward. 

I remembered a time when I was out running with two of my kids accompanying me on their bicycles.  I made a comment like "I have always wanted to know what it feels like to be the kind of girl that men look at more than once".

My son seemed to think about this for a while and, after two older women passed us, smiled, and said "Hi", he said, "Mom, those are the kind of people who you impress".

I was once told I had nice armpits.  Another time at my yoga class a lady younger than me said "You have amazing calves".   And in nursing school, a blind psychiatric patient told me I was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen".

No, I am not the kind of girl who men will look at more than once, but it is okay.  I would rather have people look into my soul and find something good there.

That, and new toilet bowl brushes, is enough for me.

My beautiful new toilet bowl brush in the pink bathroom

Comments