my visit to the guy store

I have never had to frequent a guy store.  Ever.  OK once I had to go to Ernst Home Center (now defunct) to buy some wire to hook up our new oven.  Bruce and our friend Lee were wiring our kitchen and were busy working on that,  and sent me off in search of the needed wire.  By the time I got there, I forgot what I needed - there were numbers involved like 15/2 (sort of like cribbage) or something.  I told the guy store guy this and right away he knew what I needed, but not after giving me a smirk.  I took out my brick cell phone and called home to verify that it was a 6:3 or whatever it actually was.  He ended up giving me twice as much as we needed (at the single price) and I thought it served him right for smirking at me so I didn't return it.
old brick cell phone - it would never fit in my purse!
Up until this point, I have been protected from visiting guy stores solo, because I have a guy and that is what guys do - they go to guy stores.  As Dave Berry said, they wander around with a part in their hands, looking for a matching part that they might need - sometimes they  run into other guys with parts in their hands too and, if they can't find what they are looking for, they might swap parts with another guy. It seems that guys find guy stores fascinating and spend a lot of Saturdays wandering around with parts in their hand, searching for other parts.

Today I went in search of paint.  It was 10 am on a Friday so there weren't as many guys wandering around as there might be on a Saturday.  I had gotten several paint sample cards on a previous visit and decided on a nice mint green for our bedroom.  I was so proud of myself.  I was armed with the Glidden sample, and with the measurements to the bedroom that my guy had provided for me.  I went in the store and I even knew where the paint section was from my previous visit. 

I gave the guy the card and the meausrements and he said "I guess you need two gallons".  Sounded good to me.  "It will take about 5 minutes" he said.  I guess he mixed the colors and put them on some machine that shakes them all up until the desired color, which happened to be "mint shake" interestingly enough, emerges.  He even went and got me a cart, figuring my puny girl arms would not be able to carry two gallons up to the check out counter.

I spent my 5 minutes wandering around the guy store with the guys who were looking for parts they needed.  I was amazed at so many things I saw.  I wanted to become a handy man (woman) and work with power tools.  Unfortunately that would not be a good idea because I can't even work with a sharp henkle knife without cutting myself.   There were so many counter top choices, flooring choices and cabinet choices.  I wanted to do a lot more home projects until I realized I was retired and could only afford paint right now.

And who knew there were so many kinds of toilet bowels?  They aren't that expensive but there are those where the toilet seat never slams down (prevents little boys learning to pee on M. and Ms from hurting their little boy part when the seat slams down - seriously I have seen this in my 35 and 1/2 year career as a pediatric ED nurse many times - that and the penis stuck in zipper thing.

There were toilets that let you choose between a flush for number 1 or number 2.  Any color of toilet you wanted was available as were those with high seats and those with lower seats and even those for kids.  Amazing.
Dual flush depending on if you need number one or two...a square seat doesn't look very comfortable

I did see a lot of guys with lists looking for things and women too.  It was impressive.  I might even go back someday after we get this paint job done and maybe get a number 1 or number 2 toilet bowel - I like to have options.

Comments

Rosey said…
haha. this made me laugh :)
donnaraye said…
I quickly got over my desire to remodel after spending a day of painting. The good thing is that Bruce and I did not kill each other. The bad thing is that we have to put on the second coat tomorrow. But in between there is pizza and beers! I totally get why people pay other people to paint. I hope your new job is great - and thanks for reading my stuff:)