life is good in a small town

Below are some pictures taken on one of my runs or walks in my little home town in Northern Michigan a few weeks ago.

This one is a view of the main street, which is about a mile long from end to end. The church is the Methodist church. the original one burned down and was replaced with this one which is almost exactly like it. The church bell is over 100 years old. My sister had them ring the bells on the day Bob died. My dad's funeral was here as well.

The two pictures above are of a road that leads into the woods and up to a replica of a little old church that burned down years before my time. There are a lot of mine shafts up there and my dad used to cut wood up here when I was little. He knew all the types of trees. When I was in high school, we used to have keg parties in these woods. Sometimes there is bear poop on the road so I did not run very far in this direction.

This picture is the view from the hill where my grandma used to live. The house on the left belonged to the richest lady in the town. A few years ago, it sold for only $26,000. It belonged to people who managed mines a long time ago. All the houses on that street were really pretty. My grandma's house is not there any more. It was cozy and I remember how the floor used to slant and the noise her coffee pot made. We visited her twice a day for coffee when I was growing up. Some mornings I would get up at 6:30 Am and just go and sit on her porch till she or grandpa woke up. It was so quiet - there is no place I have ever been that is as quiet as this town. The morning I ran up here, I saw three deer behind where her house used to be.

This is the post office where everyone has to go and pick up the mail and to catch up on gossip. The mail gets distributed by 9 AM every morning. When I was there, one day the mail got left in another small town so no one got their mail that day. It's just what happens sometimes and no one complains.
Pretty red trees on main street. I don't know what they are but there were a lot of them around. The leaves were not at their best but they were pretty nice.
These are scenes from the cemetary. I walked down there (about a mile from my mom's) with my brother who is in the picture above. I know more people in the cemetary than I do in the town. We visit my dad, grandparents, and other relatives and friends. My sister and I used to walk down and bring a beer for my grandpa and a thermos of coffee for grandma. Now I just make sure my dad did not sneak over to the other side of the cemetary to be by his brother. He hasn't yet.
Me and my mom- she's a tough old girl. I am lucky to still have her and to be able to visit her as often as I do.







Comments