Two good running weeks for me, 16 days left for bob

Last week I ran a half marathon that started up in the canyon, at 7 Am. I have done this run a few times before. The first time I ran it was the first time I met my friend bob, who will die on September 22nd. He didn't have ALS then and probably it was the last thing on his mind as he completed his first 1/2 marathon which really started his running career.

I thought of this as I ran my first 6 miles up hill - up the back of Emigration canyon on a beautiful soon to be fall day. My friend Suzanne and I were going to run together but she is faster up hill than I am. I am faster going down. I watched Suzanne run effortlessly up the hill (or so it seemed). She is tall and slender to my short, kinda slender, but stubby self. I am not putting myself down, I know I look pretty okay for an "older woman", but I am what I am or at least I guess I am how I see myself.

I always have admired her running outfits and a time or two I bought tops like hers only to try them on and be forced to face the facts....I am not Suzanne! But it's okay cause I can run faster down hill with my good legs, partly inherited from my mom and mostly obtained through a lot of running over the years. I did catch Suzanne on the down hill and she couldn't keep up. I finished in 1:53 something - good enough for third in my age group. Suzanne was only 30 seconds behind me. We both agreed that it was one of those rare races where nothing hurt and we both felt good the entire way and we were lucky to be there.

We both thought about Bob too and how much courage it must take to decide to discontinue with the machines that are keeping him alive and how he has once never sounded bitter about having to give up his running career and most everything else for that matter. I see him every Saturday after the runs that he used to participate in. He always asks me how it was and how far we went. I think because of him this year so far I have done 4 half marathons, a 10K and a 5K - more than my usual share of races.

We are training for the St. George Marathon, where just a few years ago, Bob ran with us and we qualified for Boston. We did make it to Boston for Bob's last marathon. Over that summer he had to hang up his running shoes as that damn disease took over most of his voluntary muscles - starved them pretty much, including the muscles that help him breath and swollow. He got a feeding tube and later a ventilator.

This week Suzanne, Paula and I ran 15 miles and again, it was a rare run where we felt good and didn't bonk, as they say. I have to credit Bob again for making us feel grateful to be out there and have legs and arms that work and still be unaware of how and when we will exit this live. Bob has made us realize that we will have to hang up our shoes someday. Maybe that is why our runs are better - we look at them differently. It's hard to complain when we think about our friend.

Yesterday when I saw him he reminded me that he had 16 days left. That is two more Saturdays for me to tell him about my runs. He says he will be there in St. George with us. He also said he should probably get an absentee ballot. I agree because if McCain wins by one vote, with his hockey mom running mate, I will be pretty ticked at Bob. But more afraid for the world.

Comments

AmyP said…
Donna, you are a much stronger person than I could ever be. Maybe it's something I can learn from you :) I thought alot about your friend this week - and I couldn't imagine 'knowing' when my life would end. And then I thought - it really could be tomorrow. Or in this stinking plane that's bouncing all over the sky :) and then I remembered my phone call w/ Annie just before we left, "I'm crying Mom, b/c I'm missing my mom". I need to learn that every day we have, we do not get back. There are no do overs. Maybe b/c of Bob, more of us will appreciate the gift of time. Amy P