running into my age

The older I get the more I appreciate running like my dog Jack does. I don't whine and run around and hump things while I am waiting for my friend Becky to show up in the morning, but I view my runs more as fun than as a competition and not something I have to do. Well, actually, I do have to do it if I am going to appreciate the day. I don't feel complete without being out there at 540 AM and somedays when I see runners on my way to work on days I don't get to run, I envy them. I even have bad thoughts of running them over or something but of course think better of it.

I find that I take more time to sniff things (mostly the air), and look and listen instead of getting lost somewhere in the future (what I need to do that day at work) or back in the past (things I could have done to be a better mother, wife, etc). I don't stop to pee on bushes but I let Jack do it as much as he wants.

I am trying to stay in the now. It could be because I am getting more enlightened because of Eckhart Tolle's book, A New Earth. I have given up dreaming about wearing running bras and slinky shorts. I am 54 and am not supposed to have a flat abdomen and perky boobs. And I am not willing to pay for them. However when I see pictures of myself I think, "that ain't me. How did I get those wrinkles and what are those things on my neck?" I am depressed sometimes when I try to buy clothes because there are no 54 year old models in JCrew.

Anyway, I am okay if during our runs, my friend and I walk a bit or stop to talk to someone we might know. I am okay if we decide to cut our run short or we decide to not go at all. We already are doing more than most women of our age - a day off won't hurt as long as we don't make a habit of it.

Don't underestimate me like I do. I can still do a 3:49 marathon (last fall) and in March I did a 1:57 half marathon. My best marathon every was 3:34:36 about 10 years ago. I have done 30 marathons since I was 40 years old. I am going to do a half marathon next weekend too. So I am not out to pasture yet but I am enjoying my runs and I think the appreciation of what I am doing makes me run more relaxed. I am still pretty tough for an old girl despite the wrinkles. But my hair is not yet grey and as far as I know I have no terminal disease other than life itself.

Today it was 23 degrees even though it is into the second week of April. But it is getting lighter outside and by the time I cut through the park with Jack on my way home from my run, it is almost light. Sunday it will be 70 degrees. I wil most likely be out there at 630 with Sid, my 83 year old friend. I am running into my age but it isn't running into me yet.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Shoot girl, you look good. Better than some folk half your age. We should all be so good looking, tough and accomplished as you are. You do so much for so many, give yourself some props