Hobbled

Well, I was unable to run for a week because of a sore calf muscle. The past week when I could not go out at 6 am and run with Jack the dog made today's run even more enjoyable and made my work day better. It was the usual 5 mile run through familiar neighborhoods but I felt so lucky to have just a nagging stiff calf instead of the feeling of someone sticking a knife into it. It was also the usual Monday work day but it was made better because I ran before getting there.

I got this injury just because I had to show off. I am not so good at running up hills but I am fabulous going down them at breakneck speeds (nearing 7.5 minute miles for God's sake, at my age). My friends Tom and Craig and I were doing our usual run up Millcreek canyon before they open it to cars. Going up is pretty much torture and makes one question the entire running thing. It is 4.5 miles up - quiet, beautiful and the air smells so good it is intoxicatin (I tried to think of a description that wasn't quite such a cliche but that was all I came up with. It did smell sort of like Gin and Tonics though). Tom was ahead, I was in the middle and Craig was in the back. Tom and I waited for Craig at the top and then we went down and I beat them by about 5 minutes just cause I could, but also because I am stupid enough to overstride and not worry about hurting something because I never get hurt. That night when I ran across the street to get to my car, someone jabbed a knife into my left calf and the little voice in my head that I only sometimes listen to said "You aren't going out there for a while, girl".

For some reason I had patience with being hobbled and actually took a week off. I had a great massage on Friday and had my Chakkras balanced (if that is spelled wrong I will fix it next time). I vowed to quit absorbing other people's negative energy and to only drink 1.5 cups of coffee per day. I realized that I don't have to labor over stuff I put in this blog so I am just writing this stuff without editing or saving as a draft to look at later and make perfect. I am not perfect. Life is not perfect. No one else's blogs are perfect. I just didn't want this to be all about me and my thoughts - cause who cares?

But I ran today and life is good. And only three more "get ups" as my sister calls her day shifts, and Bruce and I head off to the midwest to see my mom and sister, and Bruce's folks. It is a great drive and an interesting trip and now that I know I can just write stuff in here about nothing in particular, I may be better at populating the space.

Comments